Re: Font with a notebook through an Xserver

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22629] Re: Font with a notebook through an Xserver
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:10:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 14 Mar 2000 tycho at com.dtu.dk wrote:

> I'm a rookie Xserver user who would like  to run Mathetica notebook on
> a remote unix machine on my windows based pc.
>
> When I try to run Mathematica in its "Notebook version" I get error
> messages saying that the correct fonts are not installed or not in the
> right directory.
>
> How to do?
>
> I should say that I also have Mathematica 4.0 installed on my PC, but
> the computational power available on the Unix machine is considerably
> bigger.

It may be easier to set up a remote kernel configuration so that the
kernel runs on the Unix host and your front end runs locally on the PC.
You can find information on how to do this at this URL:

http://support.wolfram.com/Systems/Windows/FE/Remote/index.html

In order to display the X front end successfully on your PC's X server,
you _must_ configure the X server so that it has the Math fonts on its
font path.  This is done usually with some control panel supplied by the X
server software.  The fonts files usually have to be installed locally on
the PC's disks and oftentimes need to be translated into a format that
can be understood by the X server.  You will need to dig up the
documentation that came with the X server for more details as the actual
steps vary from vendor to vendor.  Some additional notes may be found at
this URL:

http://support.wolfram.com/FrontEnds/System/Fonts/index.html

--
P.J. Hinton