Re: magnification issue

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22630] Re: magnification issue
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:10:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 14 Mar 2000 topquark at my-deja.com wrote:

> Regarding the options browser and help browser menu text, I'm very
> puzzled why I can't change the font size here, especially given that
> the HTML version of the Mathematica book available on Wolfram's website
> has very readable text in the menu, although ironically suffers from
> the opposite problem, namely that the actual text for a given topic is
> illegibly small for math formulas (since presumably the math is stored
> as GIF image files for the browser to be able to display them).  Since
> web browsers like IE can scale text within reasonable bounds the menu
> titles can be made quite readable.  Presumably there should be a way to
> scale the menu text in Mathematica notebook *browsers* be they for help
> or option inspection.
>
> Are the browsers themselves notebooks with style sheets whose
> properties can be edited?

The contents of the lower pane of the Help Browser window displays
notebooks.  The upper half -- which includes the category buttons, the
search field, and the four scrollable panes -- are native interface
controls that cannot be adjusted by the user.  The only exception is under
the X Window system, which allows fine granularity adjustments to just
about any user interface object.  With a little bit of X resource finesse,
you can set the fonts in the upper half to any font choice that is
available to the X server.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com