sending notebooks as attatchments with microsoft OutlookExpress...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23568] sending notebooks as attatchments with microsoft OutlookExpress...
  • From: "Mark Harder" <harderm at ucs.orst.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 17:44:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

    I have been in contact with Wolfram Tech. Assistance re a problem I
have been having with one of my notebooks.  In response to their
request, I made several attempts to attatch a copy of the notebook to
them via Outlook Express.  All such attempts failed with the result that
OE could not be opened again without a fatal access denied error
occuring within a few seconds of launching the browser.  I spent a few
days back and forth with microsoft, and i now can fix OE if one of these
errors occurs.  However, the behavior persists, & it is independent of
which notebook I send, whether the notebook is empty or not, whether or
not  any other programs are open at the time.  If I convert the notebook
to text form, I can send it , provided I don't open the Outbox in OE
before the email is transferred to "Sent Items".  There seems to be
something about the *display* of the notebook (perhaps the Mathematica
notebook icon itself) that causes OE to fail catastrophically when
sending it. I eventually FTP'ed my notebook to my account on my campus'
central computer & used Pine to send it from there.  Hopefully
support at Wolfram got it.  This is not an acceptable method for me to send
notebooks to support repeatedly, however.  I asked Wolfram support if
they knew anything about this problem, and they did not, so I am
submitting it here in case anyone cab tell me how to avoid this problem.
 I could, for instance install Eudora; but I don't want to do all that
without hearing that it solves my problem.
thanks,
mark harder
harderm at ucs.orst.edu