Re: Simplifying things

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26095] Re: [mg26070] Simplifying things
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:55:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Unfortunately, V.3 has not yet incorporated a nice feature of Simplify,
viz. Assumptions. In Version 4 your problem would be easily taken care
of by means of

In[1]:=
Simplify[Sqrt[a^2], a > 0]
Out[1]=

In Version 3 you get

In[2]:=
Simplify[Sqrt[a^2]]
Out[2]:
Sqrt[a^2]

because Mathematica doesn't know whether a>0. One possible way out - if
you know that a>0 - would be to replace a by Abs[a] and then back again:

In[3]:=
(Sqrt[a^2] /. a -> Abs[a]) /. Abs[a] -> a
Out[3]=

Tomas Garza
Mexico City