Re: Bugs in Abs and Sign !?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25752] Re: Bugs in Abs and Sign !?
  • From: Brian Higgins <bghiggins at ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 14:43:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bill Bertrum kindly pointed out to me that the replacement rule I
suggested in my previous post does not work:I

 Abs[x^2] /. Abs -> fnt

He is correct. The following rule does the trick

In[18]:=Abs[x^2] /. Power[Abs[x_], y_] -> fnt[Power[x, y]]

Out[18]=fnt[x^2]

Brian

n article <8smdh4$lcb at smc.vnet.net>,
  Brian Higgins <bghiggins at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> Jack, There is no bug in my opinion. Mathematica is doing
pricesly
> what you requested. When you use replacement rules it is wise
> carefully examine the FullForm  of your expression. Thus
>
> FullForm[Abs[x^2] ]
>
> Power[Abs[x], 2]
>
> Hence
>
> Abs[x^2] /. Abs[u_] -> fnt[u]
>
> will give
>
> Power[ fnt[x] , 2]
>
> which is
>
> fnt[x]^2
>
> The correct replacement rule for what you want to do is
>
> Abs[x^2] /. Abs -> fnt
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian
>
> In article <8sjkr7$g3p at smc.vnet.net>,
>   Jack Goldberg <jackgold at umich.edu> wrote:
> > Hi group.
> >
> > Try,
> >
> > Abs[x^2] /. Abs[u_] -> fnt[u]
> >
> > and
> >
> > Sign[x^2] /. Sign[u_] -> fnt[u]
> >
> > In each case I get  fnt[x]^2.  Shouldn't I get  fnt[x^2]? After all,
> > g[x^2] /. g[u_] -> fnt[u]  returns fnt[x^2] which is what I have been
> led
> > to expect from Mathematica.  I am using ver 4.01 on a
PowerMac.