Re: Contexts and Naming of Things

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25730] Re: Contexts and Naming of Things
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 14:42:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mike:

When your code is loaded:

BeginPackage["HSSV`cavity`"]
foo::usage = "now is the time..."
Begin["`Private`"]
bar;
nebbish;
foo[x_, y_] := 1 /; y === bar;
foo[x_, y_] := 2 /; y === nebbish;
End[]
EndPackage[]

bar and nebbish are created as HSSV`cavity`Private`bar and
HSSV`cavity`Private`nebbish.
The first rule becomes

HSSV`cavity`foo[HSSV`cavity`Private`x_, HSSV`cavity`Private`y_] :=
    1 /; HSSV`cavity`Private`y === HSSV`cavity`Private`bar;

But when you enter foo[1, bar], bar is created as Global`bar (since
"HSSV`cavity`Private`" is not on the context search path. The full
expression becomes

HSSV`cavity`foo[1, Global`bar]]

Which does not match the left side of the stored rule .

We do get

foo[1, HSSV`cavity`Private`bar]

        1

But the obvious way out is to rearrange the code so that on loading bar and
nebbish are created in the package context like foo: that is as
HSSV`cavity`bar  and HSSV`cavity`nebbish:
Thus

Quit the kernel.

BeginPackage["HSSV`cavity`"]
foo::usage = "now is the time..."
bar;
nebbish;
Begin["`Private`"]
foo[x_, y_] := 1 /; y === bar;
foo[x_, y_] := 2 /; y === nebbish;
End[]
EndPackage

Now the stored rule is

HSSV`cavity`foo[HSSV`cavity`Private`x_, HSSV`cavity`Private`y_] :=
    1 /; HSSV`cavity`Private`y === HSSV`cavity`bar;

And when you enter foo[1, bar], bar is created as HSSV`cavity`bar; the
expression becomes

foo[1, HSSV`cavity`bar]

which matches the left side of the stored rule;

and we get

foo[1, bar]

        1

Allan