FULLSIMPLIFY and Subscripted Variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25799] FULLSIMPLIFY and Subscripted Variables
  • From: Blimbaum Jerry DLPC <BlimbaumJE at ncsc.navy.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 03:53:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

	Within  the past few weeks an example was shown for using
FullSimplify on an equation using the variable x_subscript0.  If I've done
the work correctly, I just want to show that Mathematica produced an
'incorrect' result using x_subscript that is fixed if the Utilities Notation
is used first.  Here is the example:

     expr=	(-I*Cos[F] + Sin[F]*Subscript[x, 0])^2*(1 - 2*Subscript[x,
0]^2 + 2*Cos[2*F]*(-1 + Subscript[x, 0]^2))

	The example submitted to Mathgroup performed a FullSimplify on this
expression using the subscripted x and just x to show that Mathematica got a
so called 'nicer' form of the simplified expression when using a subscripted
variable.  I tested this out in the following way to verify it:

	expr1=expr//Expand

	expr1//FullSimplify
	expr2=%//Expand

	expr1==expr2

	The results using x only returned True for expr1==expr2, however it
didnt when using x_subscript0, i.e. the FullSimplify was wrong for the
subscripted x.  Then I repeated the above steps but first loaded the
UtilitiesNotation and then Symbolize[x_] and then the above steps returned
True for expr1==expr2...

	Jerry Blimbaum  NSWC  Panama  City, Fl