RE: Adding a new style environment

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25819] RE: [mg25792] Adding a new style environment
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 01:41:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Chris,

On my Version 4 Windows 98 system each notebook has a pull down menu item on
the bottom of the window frame where the notebook items can be enlarged. You
can go up to 300% which might be adequate. One advantage of this method is
that it also enlarges the graphics and graphics text.

Otherwise, you could create a new style and give it a name such as
LargeDefault.nb. To do that:

1) Open a new notebook and type some items into it.
2) Choose Format/Edit StyleSheet from the menu.
3) Import a Private Style Sheet (which you will later save as
LargeDefault.nb).
4) In the StyleDefinitions notebook that should appear, open the Notebook
Options group and select the Notebook cell bracket.
5) Use Shift-Ctrl-E to display the underlying cell expression. (You could
also use ShowExpression under Format in the menu.)
6) Add FontSize->40 (or whatever size you want) as a last option in the cell
expression.
7) Use Shift-Ctrl-E again to close up the cell. The regular notebook should
now have the much larger type.
8) Once you are satisfied with the type size, save the StyleDefinition
notebook in the Configuration/FrontEnd/StyleSheet directory with the name
LargeDefault.nb. It will automatically appear in your list of styles.

One problem with this solution is that it does not change the graphics text.
You could change that by putting

$TextStyle = {FontFamily -> "Courier", FontWeight -> "Bold", FontSize ->
30};

in the Initialization of the notebook.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net