Re: Integrate doesn't yield what I expect

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25394] Re: Integrate doesn't yield what I expect
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 01:06:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

you expect AcrSin[] and get Log[]  - unfortunatly there isn't a solution
for it because every inverse trigonometric function has an logarithmic
representation ;-)

ArcSin[x] -> -I*Log[Sqrt[(1-x^2)]+I*x]  x^2<=1

because Sin[x]=Exp[I*x]-Exp[-I*x]/(2I)

You should look at the equations 4.4.26 -- 4.4.31 in Abramowitz/Stegun

> Can you also guide me to the best book with solved integrals? (best means
> number of integrals solved)

I. S. Granstein, I. M. Ryshik
"Table of Series, Products and Integrals"

Regards
  Jens

Gransteint