GLExplorer, MathLive, Dynamic Visualization

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30178] GLExplorer, MathLive, Dynamic Visualization
  • From: mreed at umich.edu (Matt Reed)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 02:19:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I use GLExplorer extensively from Mathematica 4.0 on Mac OS9 to render
polygonal models.  GLExplorer, as the name suggests, uses
hardware-accelerated OpenGL to get great rendering performance, with
all of the OpenGL API available (fog, Gouraud shading, texture maps,
etc). It's accessed easily from within Mathematica via MathLink.  I'm
currently migrating to Mac OSX, and considering my options for 3D
graphics rendering from Mathematica.

1) Does anyone know what happened to GLExplorer?  The 3detc.com
(formerly Conix3D) web site says "we no longer sell" it, and I
couldn't find a mention of it on wri.com.

2) Does anyone have experience with both GLExplorer and MathLive on
the Macintosh?  Care to compare?

3) What's the difference between the Dynamic Visualization application
from WRI and MathLive?  They appear to be from the same developer
(MiloHedge.com).

4) When was Dynamic Visualization last updated?  Does it use OpenGL?

I'd appreciate any info or informed prognostications about the
opportunities for working with 3D graphics in Mac OSX.  I'd also be
interested in hearing about other 3D visualization solutions connected
to Mathematica that people have had positive experiences with on other
platforms.  What about Java3D via JLink?