Re: GLExplorer, MathLive, Dynamic Visualization

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30188] Re: GLExplorer, MathLive, Dynamic Visualization
  • From: Martin Kraus <Martin.Kraus at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 03:15:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Matt Reed wrote:

> I'd appreciate any info or informed prognostications about the
> opportunities for working with 3D graphics in Mac OSX.  I'd also be

I assume that RealTime3D (or something similar) will actually
be useful in the next major version of Mathematica.
I am not sure, whether this applies already to the MacOS X
version. (Does anyone know what version number the MacOS X
version will have? 4.1, 4.2, 4.5 or 5.0?)
Thus, the most economical solution for you might be to wait
for interactive 3D graphics within Mathematica.

> interested in hearing about other 3D visualization solutions connected
> to Mathematica that people have had positive experiences with on other
> platforms.

I once collected links to a few viewers at the bottom of this page:
http://wwwvis.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~kraus/LiveGraphics3D/links.html
A detailed comparison is difficult due to the different technical
approaches, requirements, and limitations. (Apart from the fact
that my opinion is strongly biased. :)

> What about Java3D via JLink?

I am not aware of a viewer for Mathematica graphics using Java3D.
And I believe that there are good reasons that there is none.
(In particular the number of components you have to install in
order to run it, i.e. JLink, OpenGL, Java 1.2 with Java3D)

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Kraus, IfI, Abteilung Visualisierung und Interaktive Systeme
http://wwwvis.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~kraus/
mailto:Martin.Kraus at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de