Re: GLExplorer, MathLive, Dynamic Visualization

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30194] Re: GLExplorer, MathLive, Dynamic Visualization
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 03:15:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

1) I asked 3d etc what happens with GLExplorer and never got an answer.
   But I expect that with the RealTime3D` package the most of the
   functionality of GLExplorer is obsolente. The nice OpenGL interface
   is only used by a minor number of users.
   The good news is that MathGL3d (that is much better than GLExplorer)
   will be ported to MacOS X.
   I will announce the beta-test for
   MathGL3d 3.1 on MacOS X as soon as I have a running system.
   You may look at

   http://phong.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~kuska/mathgl3dv3/index.htm

   for more information on MathGL3d.
   In contrast to the GLExplorer MathGL3d is a full featured high end
   visualization system. It is much easyer to use it's texture mapping
   than with OpenGL direct.
3) MathLive is the older program and was distributed for
   Mathematica 2.x. Dynamic Visualizer is for Mathematica 3.0 and
   later.
4) Dynamic Visualizer  has it's own render engine, and don't use
   OpenGL especial it is *not* hardware accelerated

Regards
  Jens