Re: Can Mathematica 3.0 be run under Windows ME and/or Windows 98 SE?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30272] Re: [mg30267] Can Mathematica 3.0 be run under Windows ME and/or Windows 98 SE?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 20:02:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 01:14:33 -0400 (EDT), Robert Lawrence wrote:
>I am currently running Mathematica 3.0 under Windows 95.
>
>I am about to purchase a new computer for which I can choose, as an
>operating system, either Windows ME or Windows 98.  (Windows 2000 is
>also available, but I don't think I will choose that.)
>
>Will I encounter any problems running Mathematica 3.0 under either
>Windows ME or Windows 98 SE?
>
>Robert Lawrence

There are two significant problems with Mathematica 3 running under Win98
(both problems are, in all likelihood, under WinMe as well, but I'm not
certain of that...neither happens under Win2000).  A patch is available
for both, and both problems were fixed in versions 4 and 4.1 (which are
fully compatible with the newer operating systems).  The first problem
causes general instability in the operating system which can lead to,
among other things, this problem:

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/windows/98/hangonrestart.html

The second problem is caused by a bug in certain Win98 HP printer drivers,
and seriously messes up fonts when printing to those printers:

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/windows/98/printpcl.html

To get the version 3 patch, contact Technical Support at
support at wolfram.com, give them your Mathematica license number, and refer
to one of the URL's above.  To purchase an upgrade to Mathematica 4.1, you
can go to http://store.wolfram.com or email info at wolfram.com to inquire
about pricing.

Sincerely,

John Fultz