Re: Re: Rotation3D, MatrixRotation3D ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30432] Re: [mg30410] Re: Rotation3D, MatrixRotation3D ?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 04:04:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

My previous message in this thread actually contains (implicitly) two
ways to do that. The first way is very straight forward and consists
simply of the combination of Euler's theorem and the Mathematica
function Solve. For example, let's construct a rotation matrix:

In[1]:=
Needs["Geometry`Rotations`"]

In[2]:=
B=RotationMatrix3D[Pi/3,Pi/4,Pi/6];

In[3]:=
Solve[ RotationMatrix3D[\[Psi], 0, 0].
       RotationMatrix3D[0, \[Theta], 0].RotationMatrix3D[\[Phi], 0,
0]\[Equal]
     B,{\[Phi],\[Theta],\[Psi]}]

 From In[3]:=
Solve::ifun: Inverse functions are being used by Solve, so some
solutions may \
not be found.

Out[3]=
{{\[Psi] -> Pi/6, \[Theta] -> Pi/4, \[Phi] -> Pi/3}}

One has to be careful here to get the names of the angles right (or
equivalently their order), I had it wrong in my message since
Mathematica convention is not the same as I am used to.

This method is not 100% reliable because Mathematica is not 100%
reliable when solving trigonometric equations. There is also a second
method, basically described at the end of my previous message. If you
really need it I send you the details  or you can look it up in a good
linear algebra book, e.g. Kostrykin and Manin, "Linear Algebra and
Geometry".

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University
JAPAN