StringMatchQ

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30459] StringMatchQ
  • From: "Joseph Post" <joepost at bellatlantic.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:41:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have been working on developing extensions to StringMatchQ that will accept additional metacharacters representing one consonant, one or more consonants, one vowel, one or more vowels, alternating strings of consonants and vowels, etc., and using them to solve word-game puzzles (longest word with only one vowel, etc.).  (a)  Is anyone aware of any prior efforts in this direction?  I couldn't find anything relevant in MathSource.  (b) The English word list that comes with Mathematica is useful for these purposes, but smallish (about 25,000 words).  Is anyone aware of any more extensive electronic word lists that are available without charge on the Web?

Thanks in advance.

-- Joseph Post