"Incremental Integration"?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31774] "Incremental Integration"?
  • From: aes <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 02:45:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Given a rather messy function  f[x] , I want to make a Table of its integral
from  x0 up to a set of equally spaced points xn = x0 + n*dx  with maximum value
xFinal -- in other words

   g[x_] := NIntegrate[f[xi], {xi, x0, x}]

   Table[ {x, g[x]}, {x, x0, xFinal, dx}]

Is Mathematica smart enough to calculate each successive value using the
previous value plus integration just over the increment in x to the next value?

If not, what would be a clean and readable and also reasonably efficient way to
code this?

[Note:  For me anyway, there's some emphasis on the "clean and readable" part --
avoiding esoteric Mathematica syntax, not taking terseness as the ultimate goal.]

Email cc to poster appreciated.