Re: mathematica crashes after 10 seconds of computation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27073] Re: mathematica crashes after 10 seconds of computation
  • From: Anthony Yeung <syeung at cc.UManitoba.CA>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 04:59:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In <9587kb$3cq at smc.vnet.net> "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com> writes:

>"Anthony Yeung" <syeung at cc.UManitoba.CA> wrote in message
>news:955vpp$2v at smc.vnet.net...
>> hi all,
>>    I have this problem on my Win98 machine. The math kernel quits
>> whenever the computation is intensive (for several seconds). It sounds
>> like it hits the maxmemory and crashed. This computer is PIII 750 with
>128Meg
>> RAM. I don<t know how to fix it. The version of mathematica is version 4.

>Please define "quits." Does it exit, or does it hang? And please tell us
>what it is evaluating.

>There are any number of legitimate expressions that will cause the kernel to
>work indefinitely long, and use up lots of system resources as well.

hi Paul,
   Now I got the message:

The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down (Mathekernel)

Invalid page fault in module mathedll.dll at 017f:6402ee45

Registers:

Bytes at CS:EIP:
Stack Dump:

My system monitor indicates the unused physical memory is closed to zero and the swap space has just started
to grow. I have lots of swap space though (Windows managing)

thanks

Anthony

--
Anthony S. K. YEUNG,