matrices & polynomials in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27273] matrices & polynomials in mathematica
  • From: "news.tue.nl" <student at tue.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:58:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have the following problem.
I have written a mathematica-module that automatically produces a certain
polynomial as a result. But I want another module to use this first module
and fill in a matrix in this polynomial.
for example: f[x]=1+x+x^2
But when I compute f[A] where A is a matrix, mathematica interprets 1 as a
matrix filled with ones in stead of the identity-matrix. And A^2 is
pointswise multiplication in stead of matrix-multiplication.
Is there an option to let Mathematica know that the polynomial works on
matrices?

Chris

PS. I am aware of the possibility to multiply matrices using . (dot) but the
problem is that the polynomial is the result of some computations and I need
to have mathematica interpret this polynomial on matrices automatically.