Re: Mathematica can talk!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27354] Re: [mg27231] Mathematica can talk!
  • From: "Christopher J. Purcell" <purcell at drea.dnd.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:18:04 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On a Macintosh G3, system 8.6, with Mathematica Version 4.0, a
perusal of the output from:

?System`*

reveals 3 interesting undocumented symbols:

SpeakTextPacket
CurrentlySpeakingPacket
SetSpeechParametersPacket

After much trial and error all I succeeded in doing was the following:

  (* Example of telling the front end to create a cell with text in
it, selecting it and then speaking, but only saying the "In[]". The
"CurrentlySpeakingPacket"
is clearly missing something, but if this line is not included the
kernel will not terminate without extreme prejudice.  *)

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`NotebookWrite[FrontEnd`SelectedNotebook[
],"Houston we have a problem."]];
SelectionMove[SelectedNotebook[],All,Cell];
FrontEndExecute["CurrentlySpeakingPacket"]
FrontEndExecute["SpeakTextPacket"]

I was hoping after writing some text to a cell, and selecting it,
that I could mimic the effect of inputting Control-V from the
keyboard. This is getting close to working, it reads back the In[].
Any suggestions on how to improve upon this?

--
Dr. Christopher J. Purcell
GL/Trans

Tel: 902-426-3100-x389