Mathematica asking for passwords, but why ???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29779] Mathematica asking for passwords, but why ???
  • From: David Kirkby <REMOOVE_THIS_drkirkby at AND_THIS_ntlworld.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 20:35:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
	I have Mathematica 4.02 installed on my Sun SPARCstation 20. If I log
onto the console, or remotely using ssh or telnet, the machine knows
I've already installed the passwords and works fine when I run the
command line version of Mathematica (math).

If instead I log in, using the telnet plugin of a programme called
Webadmin
http://www.webmin.com/webmin/
which allows one to remotely administer unix systems using a web
browser, math does not realise the passwords are installed, and so asks
for them. I can't see how mathematica knows the difference between this
and a standard telnet session. All the file systems are mounted, the
passwords are accessable,  and every other command seems to work exactly
as if I were loging in via telnet, or on the console.

Any suggestions ?
--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D,
email: REMOOVE_THIS_drkirkby at AND_THIS_ntlworld.com