Re: Saving the whole workspace...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29801] Re: [mg29785] Saving the whole workspace...
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:26:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 20:35:59 -0400 (EDT), Mark Harder wrote:

>I use Mathematica in a Windows NT environment.
>When I work with MathematicaI have several notebooks from all over
>my "Projects" directory open but minimized so I can refer to them
>without having to search for them & reopen them.  I would like to shut
>down Mathematica to reboot, turn the computer off (we have orders from
>on high to save energy this way), and so forth.  Call me lazy, if you
>want, but  I want to reopen the whole collection of notebooks without
>having to hunt all over the place for them. Other Windows applications,
>esp. Excel, allow you to save a whole workspace with a mere click of the
>mouse.  Is there any way to do this in Mathematica?  The only
>alternative I can think of is to create a special folder with copies (or
>maybe shortcuts) of the files from every "session", then go into that
>folder and reopen every  notebook in there when I take up that project
>again. I think this is pretty inefficient in time and disk space.
>
>-mark harder

If all of the affected notebooks are in your Projects directory, then this
may not be too hard, as long as you don't mind being a bit clever.  Try
the following:

* Click Edit->Preferences.  Make sure the scope is set to "global" and the
view to "by category".
* Open Global Options, then File Locations.  Click the button to the far
right of the PalettePath option.
* Click Add, then type in the directory name of the Projects directory as
follows:
	FrontEnd`FileName[{"c:\\Projects"}]
(make sure to double all of the backslashes in your pathname)
* Click OK.  Quit and restart Mathematica.
* Now, open the notebooks you want from the File->Palettes menu.  Anything
you open from this menu Mathematica will remember to open as soon as you
restart Mathematica in the future.  Anything which was opened from here
and subsequently closed will not be opened in the future.

This can make the Palettes menu a bit messy, but it's effective.  If at
any point you want to restore things to the way they were, just go to the
PalettePath option and click the gray bubble.  This will restore the
system default setting.

A couple of other thoughts on your general problem...

I'm guessing from your email that you're using NT 4.0.  If you upgrade to
Windows 2000, you'll get a Hibernate feature which basically allows you to
save the state of all running applications and shut down your computer.
My experience with Windows 2000 is that it's every bit as stable as NT 4.0
and has very few compatibility issues with NT 4 (none with Mathematica,
although it does use more resources (primarily memory and hard drive
space).

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com