Can Mathematica evaluate step by step???
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg29372] Can Mathematica evaluate step by step???
- From: "Neri Kafkafi" <NKafkafi at intra.nida.nih.gov>
- Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 02:23:41 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Assume I define: myfunction:=2a and at some later time: a=4 Now if I evaluate myfunction I get 8. If I evaluate Hold[myfunction] I get myfunction. My question is, how do I get 2a ? In other words, I want to get the symbolic definition of myfunction, whether a is defined or not. In (yet) other words, I want to evaluate myfunction only one step further, up to 2a, but not all the way to 8. Is this possible in Mathematica? Thanks in advance, Neri