Re: Can Mathematica evaluate step by step???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29381] Re: [mg29372] Can Mathematica evaluate step by step???
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 02:47:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In general not. Mathematica does not do any "half-way" evaluation. However,
you can sort of "get" 2a as follows:

In[1]:=
myfunction:=2a
In[2]:=
a=2;
In[3]:=
myfunction
Out[3]=
4
In[4]:=
Information["myfunction", LongForm -> False]
myfunction
myfunction := 2*a

alternatively:

In[5]:=
OwnValues[myfunction]
Out[5]=
{HoldPattern[myfunction] :> 2*a}

You can extract 2a from the latter but only if you first wrap HoldForm
around it:

In[6]:=
MapAt[HoldForm,OwnValues[myfunction],{1,2}][[1,2]]
Out[6]=
2 a

--
Andrzej Kozlowski