Errors im Mathematica??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29407] Errors im Mathematica??
  • From: "Hermann Schmitt" <schmitther at netcologne.de>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 03:39:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I worked with Mathematica very intensively, lately, and encountered
several - partly strange - problems:
1) In functions Mathematica somtetimes tries to multiply statements with
each other, which follow one after the other in different lines. This
seems especially the case with Print statements. The problem disappears,
if I put ";" behind the statements. I think, this is a consequence of
the fact, that the multiplication sign may be omitted.
2) Error messages have no newline behind them, therefore the following
output of the program is appended to the end of the error message on the
same line.
3) Using the "ToExpression" statement I often get the error message,
that the argument is not a string, although it is a string.
Mathematica seems to replace parts the argument by similar statements in
the program, before it makes the source to a part of the program. In one
case, I tried to remove the statement in the program and got the error
message:
The text replaced was not a string.
Hermann Schmitt