Re: Errors im Mathematica??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29429] Re: [mg29407] Errors im Mathematica??
  • From: Maryvonne Teissier <my.teissier at cybercable.fr>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 05:35:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Some opinion about your first "error in Mathematica".
I do not consider that requiring the sign of ponctuation " ; "
in a composite command is an error.
You have this sort of necessity in a lot of languages.

In my teaching, I force my students to NOT use the facility
of multiple printing by a multiple order  , I mean by this term
a composite order without the separator " ; ",
because
1) this will be not allowed in Module,
2) this will be not allowed in a direct use of the Kernel ,
3) this will induce less attention to separate cells
in reception of Mathematica  e-mails,
4) that is source of execution errors as you express it .

I appreciate a lot the permissivity of Mathematica , and for example
write 2x  instead of 2*x or 2 x and i know this can induce error
when you write " ax " thinking to " a x ".
If,  in  this case I prefer freedom
I dont hesitate to limit  the liberty
in this special case of lake of punctuation.
But I would appreciate the opinion of others users
about these " lazy composite orders "

Sincerly, Maryvonne Teissier

Hermann Schmitt a *crit :