Re: Re: Odd behavior of InterpolationFunctionderivative

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29411] Re: [mg29379] Re: [mg29368] Odd behavior of InterpolationFunctionderivative
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 03:39:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Maryvonne,

I'm afraid your explanation doesn't address the problem I was referring to.
Essentially, what I'm saying is that a given set of numbers {f1, f2,...,fn}
(forget that they were generated using  the Sin function; they are just some
numerical values) produces an InterpolationFunction which, in the case where
Interpolation was called giving only those values has a derivative which is
different from that where the Interpolation is called giving also the
abscissa values explicitly, i.e., {{x1, f1}, {x2, f2},..., {xn, fn}}. The
plot of the Interpolation Function is the same in both cases; however the
plots of the corresponding derivatives - which should be equal, too - are
different.

Just look at the plot of what I called functionTwo: The slope of the
InterpolationFunction is obviously very close to 1 when x = 6; however, the
plot of its derivative has a maximum of about 0.314 (at x = 6). Nowhere in
the graph the "derivative" reflects the value of the slope of the
InterpolationFunction.

 Finally, I don't understand your remark:

> Please, try at beginning not use the variable x in both cases.

I don't see why you object to using the same symbol for the argument of a
function in two different contexts (?). There is absolutely no way that this
could induce any confusion whatsoever.

Regards,
Tomas