Re: AMD vs. Intel Floating Point

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29486] Re: AMD vs. Intel Floating Point
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 02:20:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

a) the Mathematica speed comparsion  from

   http://fampm201.tu-graz.ac.at/karl/timings40.html

   is posted regular in this news group
b) on the www-site of *this* news group

   http://smc.vnet.net/mathgroup.html

   the second head line is a link to various speed
   comparsions found at

   http://smc.vnet.net/mathbench.html

and it is quite natural to assume, that a poster to a
news-group has visited the newsgroup hompage and
is able to read and understand the headings on a page
that begins with:

>Designed by S. Christensen.
>
>MathGroup
>
>The Email Group for Mathematica Users
>
>Comparison of Mathematica on Various Computers
>
>MathGroup is now linked to the moderated newsgroup
>
>comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica
>
> on the Internet. Contact your local system administrator
> to find out how to read this new group.

*and* it is quite natural to assume that a poster to the news group
has read the group rules (on the same page) one of it say:

>PLEASE SEARCH THE ARCHIVES BEFORE YOU ASK WHAT MIGHT BE A COMMON QUESTION.
>See the links above for this.

It must be also sayed, that the Mathematica speed depends in the
most (symbolic) applications not on the floating point power
of the CPU. The most actions performed by Mathematica are pointer
operations with it's internal data structures. I would assume that
80-90 % of Mathematica's CPU load are pure interger operations.
High precision calculations, symbolic operations, operations with
integers, rationals ... all that don't use the floating point hardware.

It depends shaply on the application how much floating point operations
are used. But when a Mathematica function has such a  huge floating
point
load it is always better to write a MathLink program.

Regards
  Jens