Re: AMD vs. Intel Floating Point

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29481] Re: AMD vs. Intel Floating Point
  • From: "Orestis Vantzos" <atelesforos at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 02:20:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am not a hardware spec, I write what I know to be true. Seti@home runs
better on Intel processors and I have seen that with my own eyes. Why I
consider it a quasi-valid benchmark for floating-point operations? Well, all
it really does is certain mathematical transformations (Fast Fourier among
them)...it has to depend on floating -point operations. Could the difference
be in the math-coprocessor? Errors in AMD floating-point operations that
force them to repeat a portion of the operations? I can't really tell,
hardware is not my field...
Orestis
PS. Jens loosen up...

news:9gs2ic$k3p$1 at smc.vnet.net...