RE: Originality

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29527] RE: [mg29482] Originality
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:47:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

> ...we beat each other to the keyboard to provide our code,
> often in the form of "the right code". Some among us even beat
> the ambitious
> newbie into pulp, rushing to show him just how pointless and reduntant his
> approach is. A clear point is made: "we don't need your thoughts, we have
> everything solved".

Right on, Orestis. All questions and suggestions, including newbie ones, are
interesting and useful. I learn a lot from them. They are often not as
"trivial" as they look and force me, at least, to extend my own knowledge of
Mathematica. I am always amazed at the variety of methods that participants
put forward for solving various problems. I'll never forget the time I
replied to a posting saying that something couldn't be done and there were
three other postings showing three different methods for doing it!

MathGroup is one of the most professional and civilized newsgroups there is
(thanks partly to Steve Christensen). I hope nobody, from the rankest newbie
to the very busy advanced professional, will ever hesitate to post their
question or suggestion to MathGroup or have to worry that it or they will be
regarded as "stupid". The people who ask the questions are the very
life-blood of MathGroup.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/