RE: Originality

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29501] RE: [mg29482] Originality
  • From: "Annetts, David (DEM, North Ryde)" <David.Annetts at syd.dem.csiro.au>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:46:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Orestis,

<snippage>

In the main, I disagree with your interpretation on the newsgroup's response
to some questions by newbies.

In over 6 years subscribing to this newsgroup / list, I have rarely seen
newbies "beaten to a pulp".  The worst I've seen, is various forms of RTFM,
whether the FM be The Book, or WRI's archives / tutorials.  If you want to
see vitriol and sarcasm as a reponse to a query, check out some of the other
newsgroups:)

What I tend to see more often, is people (they know who they are) trying to
outdo each other in an attempt to find a faster, more elegent solution to
the problem at hand.  Thankfully, these solutions are shared with the group,
because as you say, the learning curve is a bitch:)

<snippage of some well thought out ideas -- purely to save bandwidth>

> Handle it with care please...if some people didn't pursuit
> their "foolish"
> dreams, we would all be talking in the FORTRAN2K forum now.

Some of us still are:)  It's a matter of hourses for courses.  In my case,
Fortran for the number crunching, Mathematica for the processing and pictures.

Regards,

Dave.
  David Annetts
  EM Modelling Analyst