Problems with TeX and EPS output (v3.0, mac)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29644] Problems with TeX and EPS output (v3.0, mac)
  • From: hft at math.princeton.edu (H. F. Trotter)
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 01:36:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I tried posting an item on this subject yesterday, but I don't think the
post succeeded.  My apologies if it did succeed and this is a repeat.

I have just recently tried getting some Mathematica output in TeX form,
and have encountered these problems.

First, taking the result of doing "Save as special" with the TeX option and
putting it through a TeX processor produced many many complaints that
\RawReturn  was undefined.  Looking in  notebook.sty  and inserting

\def\RawReturn{\char'015\relax}

in imitation of the definition for  \RawTilde  seemed to cure those errors,
but then complaints about  \MathBegin  and  \MathEnd  came up, and I couldn't
guess how to fix those.

Second, I had some success with using  Display["file.eps",g,"EPS"] ,  where  g
was a graphics object, to make an EPS file that could be used to provide
a picture in a TeX file, but there was some strange behavior.  The object  g
contained some Text items,  and some characters were wrong in the EPS file.
In particular,  (  and  )  appeared in the file as  H  and  L ,  and  [  and  ]
appeared as  @  and  D .

All this is using Mathematica 3.0  (as distributed on the CD) on a Macintosh
running OS 7.5.3 .

Thanks for any suggestions, pointers to information, workarounds, ....
hft at math.princeton.edu