RE: Re: Two CPU AMD PC and Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29636] RE: [mg29607] Re: Two CPU AMD PC and Mathematica
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <Hartmut.Wolf at t-systems.de>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 01:36:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Orestis,

hesitating to enter that discussion, I just like to add a little point:
there are certainly many occasions where parallel processing dispatched to a
bunch of processors might be possible and result in considerable speedup.
The decisive question is, can and how can the system decide on doing that
and fork the thread of execution. That question is not at all easy!

First you must not destroy the semantics of the language. And part of the
basic semantics in Mathematica is the evaluation sequence, and that is
prescribed exactly, stating e.g. that in an expression

  h[e1, e2, ...]

to *first* evaluate the head, *then* each expression e<i> *in turn*, *then*
apply transformations associated with attributes,... See §2.5.4 pp

Each of the steps can influence further processing downstream the pipeline,
e.g. change/add/remove global definitions. This also tells that Mathematica
is not a pure functional programming language where, lacking any side
effects and any variables designating store, we could map in parallel.

Consider e.g. In[2]:= i = 0; Table[++i! , {5}]

So for parallel processing code has to be inspected carefully. Of course you
could use Mathematica for doing that, and it could be very interesting and
perhaps rewarding! We might be curious to learn what Roman Maeder did, but
damn, I missed the opportunity to participate beta testing his package.

-- Hartmut Wolf