Re: Re: exchanging 2 elements in a list (problem with Block)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27791] Re: [mg27631] Re: exchanging 2 elements in a list (problem with Block)
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 05:41:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I guess the examples of why Block is preferable to Module
don't seem convincing to me.
The first example is simply to avoid having the variable
i evaluated.  In a language with single-level evaluation
it should be possible to quote variables.  Thus
Table [Quote[i]^j,{j,3}]   ; Hold[] in Mathematica is
not the same as this.  I find Hold to be unuseable.  For
reasons of the evaluation strategy in Mathematica, I
suppose Quote[] is difficult.
In my view, the result of Module is right, even though
the printout is bad.  Establishing a local variable i and
then squaring it should not return the variable associated
with the global name i.

I don't understand what example 2 does.  If the intention
is to dynamically hide the definition
of Dot and all its rules  by the Block[{Dot}...]
then I suppose that is of some use.  I didn't know that
would work for built-in "functions", and I suspect that it
doesn't.  That is
Foo[x_]:=foobar[x]
Block[{Foo},Print[Foo[3]]]

prints Foo[3] not foobar[3]  so the definition of Foo is
blocked.  (works)

And similarly for Block[{Sin},Print[Sin[1.2]]] (works)

but not for Block[{Plus},Print[Plus[1,1]]]   (doesn't work).
or  Block[{Times=Plus},4!]  (doesn't work[??])

I think the point of the other examples is to use dynamic
scope to hide definitions temporarily. That's OK if
used with restraint.  Block[{D=3}, ...f[x]]  presumably
breaks the Derivative function in the "call" to f[].

The Module "bugs" though are related to the erroneous
implementation of Module in mathematica.  Faking the
module variables but by having equivalent user-syntax
alternatives looks like an implementation or
perhaps a design error.