Re: May be a math question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27869] Re: May be a math question
  • From: Lawrence Walker <lwalker701 at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 04:30:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Cheng,

I am not sure how to do this but I do have some suggestions.

You can refer to the package called DiscreteMath`ComputationalGeometry` to
graph neighborhoods of points, if you will.

Refer to the package Statistics`NormalDistribution` to setup Gaussian
distributions.  You can use the following to generate a Gaussian distributed
random number:
ndist = NormalDistribution[0, 1]; rand:=Random[ndist].

To generate points just invoke the following ...
pts:={rand,rand}

Lawrence

Cheng Liu wrote:

>         I want to generate a point set in a, say 1x1 square, region.
> The requirement would be that for any given point, the distance between
> this point and its nearest neighbor should satisfy a given distribution,
> e.g., Gaussian.  Any help, suggestion, or pointer is appreciated.

     (\___/)     The fear of the LORD is the beginning of
     (o\ /o)     wisdom: a good understanding have all they
    /|:.V.:|\    that do his commandments: his praise
    \\::::://    endureth for ever.              Psa 111:10
        Lawrence A. Walker Jr., M.Eng./Ph.D. Candidate
                   Morgan State University
          Clarence M. Mitchell School of Engineering
 COMSARE (Center Of Microwave/Satellite And RF Engineering)
                        (443)885-1453