NotebookPath problem under Windows 2000

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28716] NotebookPath problem under Windows 2000
  • From: "Matthew D. Langston" <langston at SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 07:55:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a problem that Wolfram Technical Support was not able to help me
with, and it was suggested that the expertise on this list might  come up
with the answer.

I am using Mathematica 4.1 under Windows 2000.

The problem concerns the example at the bottom of page 564 of "The
Mathematica Book, Fourth Edition".  The example dynamically creates a
Notebook and writes it to a file, and then reads it back in using the kernel
(by using the "<<" operator) and the front end (by using "NotebookOpen[]").
Here is the example:

Notebook[{Cell["Section heading","Section"],Cell["Some
text","Text"]}]>>sample.nb
<<sample.nb
NotebookOpen["sample.nb"]

The example works just fine right after I start Mathematica.  However, if I
SetDirectory[] to my home directory, using SetDirectory["E:\\Documents and
Settings\\Matthew D. Langston\\My Documents"], then
NotebookOpen["sample.nb"] fails because it can't find the notebook.

The FAQ entry at http://support.wolfram.com/Kernel/FE/NotebookPath.html
suggests that I may need to add my home directory to NotebookPath, which is
the list of paths searched by the front end for notebooks.  However, it
wasn't obvious to me how to do that, as the output from executing
"Options[$FrontEnd,{NotebookPath}]" is much more complicated than $Path, so
I couldn't just "AppendTo[NotebookPath,"My Documents"]" like I can with
"AppendTo[$Path,"My Documents"]".

Can anyone tell me how to adjust NotebookPath please?  Thank you.

Regards, Matt

--
Matthew D. Langston
SLD, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center