Re: Options[] in Mathematica 4.1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28728] Re: Options[] in Mathematica 4.1
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 03:38:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

a) avoid Rule, it is in the System` context an too important
b) document the functions and options by placing usage information
   into the right context i.e
BeginPackage["MyPackage`"]

UseFullFunction::usage="UseFullFunction[arg,opts] make nothing usefull."
MyRule::usage="MyRule is an option for UseFullFunction[]"

(* now MyRule is in the context MyPackage` and full qualified by
   MyPackage`MyRule`  *)

Begin["`Private`"]

Options[UseFullFunction]={MyRule->True}

UseFullFunction[arg_,opts___]:=
   Module[{myrule},
      myrule=MyRule /. {opts} /. Options[UseFullFunctions];
     ]

End[]
EndPackage[]

and with

MyRule::usage="MyRule is an option for UseFullFunction[]"

(* now MyRule is in the context Global` and full qualified by
   Global`MyRule`  *)

BeginPackage["MyPackage`"]

UseFullFunction::usage="UseFullFunction[arg,opts] make nothing usefull."

Begin["`Private`"]

Options[UseFullFunction]={MyRule->True}

UseFullFunction[arg_,opts___]:=
   Module[{myrule},
      myrule=MyRule /. {opts} /. Options[UseFullFunctions];
     ]

End[]
EndPackage[]

Your second problem:

yes, you can because the option

Options[MyFunction]={PlotRange->Automatic}

will only used in your functions and not by the system
functions. Since PlotRange is already in the system
context, no new variable in the private context
is created.

Regards
  Jens