Showing intermediate steps in calculations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29019] Showing intermediate steps in calculations
  • From: pleez.dont at rely.on.this.address (Maarten D. de Jong)
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 01:47:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am writing this message on behalf of my father, who is having the following
problem. He's working through various high-school and undergraduate books
on algebra and calculus (out of fun and interest) and he meticulously
writes down the answers to each problem he solves. He would like to do this
on his computer, but after a bit of discussion, I discovered that any of
the main symbolic math packages available do not solve his problem entirely.
As far as I know, these programs take in the problem, and write out the
answer, without showing intermediate steps and simplifications---and it is
precisely this that my father wants to know about. Are there packages which
show these steps? Or is it just a matter of turning on an option in the
mainstream programs?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Maarten