RE: Plot[f[x], {x,a,b}] Not Reaching End Points

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29093] RE: [mg29028] Plot[f[x], {x,a,b}] Not Reaching End Points
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <Hartmut.Wolf at t-systems.de>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 02:57:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 7:48 AM
> To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Subject: [mg29093] [mg29028] Plot[f[x], {x,a,b}] Not Reaching End Points
>

> When I execute
>
>       n=0.1;   Plot[ (1-x)^n, {x,0,1} ]
>
> the plot stops well short of dropping all the way to the
> baseline on the
> steeply falling edge as x approaches 1 --- even if I use
> PlotRange->All
> or expand to something unreasonable like PlotPoints->10000.
>
> I understand that a Plot routine can have difficulties dealing with
> singularities or rapidly varying functions within the range to be
> plotted -- but it seems surprising to me that it should totally pass
> over or omit an explicitly stated, nonsingular end point.

Well, I don't think this to be a bug, but well intended behaviour, which I
consider to be quite useful mostly (i.e. giving the least irritation for all
use cases).

Your  example overstresses the plot point sampling algorithm. So if you do
have a very steep function behaviour for an elsewhere flat function graph,
you are free to increase the number of plot points *locally* !

For your case try:

Plot[(1 - x)^n, {x, 1 - 10^#, 1}, DisplayFunction -> Identity] & /@
    Range[0, -20, -7];

Show[%, DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction, PlotRange -> All]

-- Hartmut