Re: Q: Is there an "inverse" of ToRules?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31067] Re: [mg31038] Q: Is there an "inverse" of ToRules?
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 03:33:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You may define your own. Example:

In[10]:=
b = Solve[x^2 - 2 == 0, x]
Out[10]=
{{x -> -Sqrt[2]}, {x -> Sqrt[2]}}
In[11]:=
ToExpression[StringReplace[ToString[b], "->" -> "=="]]
Out[11]=
{{x == -Sqrt[2]}, {x == Sqrt[2]}}

But I think it is better to stick to the solution expressed in terms of
rules. It takes a while to get used to it, but it pays. The rule has a
definite meaning which can be used in a ReplaceAll operation, whereas
something like the last output, with two "Equal" functions for the same x,
can lead to confusion.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City