RE: Does Mathematica do transparent colors?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31323] RE: [mg31318] Does Mathematica do transparent colors?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:07:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ron,

Mathematica has no direct way to make transparent or translucent colors. In
your case, this may be a blessing.

Carl Bergstrom introduced me to an excellent book: "The Visual Display of
Quantitative Information" by Edward R. Tufte. One of the principles is
maximizing the data ink and minimizing ink that does not actually contain
information. Having colored bars AND a colored filled plot might actually be
confusing.

Which is more important: the actual data values, or the fact that they
closely follow a normal distribution? In the first case you could used a
regular bar chart and draw a normal unfilled distribution curve over it,
perhaps using a gray line. In the second case, you could draw a filled
normal distribution and represent the data by plot points or plot symbols.
Another possibility (not as good in my opinion) is to use a filled normal
curve and use rectangular outlines instead of filled bars.

In any case, I think you could achive an effective display without the use
of translucent colors.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/