RE: Does Mathematica do transparent colors?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31333] RE: [mg31318] Does Mathematica do transparent colors?
  • From: "tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx" <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:07:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I see your point, and my first guess is that you are asking for something which, if not too difficult, it takes a lot of labor, and may not be worthwhile. A single graphics object has to be constructed out of two different ones, in order to attain that "translucency" you want. When you use Show[a1,a2] to display two plots, even with colors that look very transparent, a1 overrides whatever happens to be beneath. But I wonder if the following appoach could be useful to you:

In[1]:=
<<Graphics`Graphics`;
<<Statistics`ContinuousDistributions`;
<<Statistics`DiscreteDistributions`;
<<Graphics`FilledPlot`;
In[3]:=
bern=BinomialDistribution[10,0.5];
norm=NormalDistribution[6,Sqrt[2.5]];
In[5]:=
bc=BarChart[Transpose[{Table[PDF[bern,j],{j,0,10}],Range[0,10]}],
      BarStyle->GrayLevel[0.9],DisplayFunction->Identity];
In[6]:=
fp=FilledPlot[PDF[norm,x],{x,0,11},DisplayFunction->Identity];
In[7]:=
Show[fp,bc,DisplayFunction->$DisplayFunction];

This, I'm afraid, is as good as it gets, unless you want to do a good deal of tampering with the graphics objects.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City