Combinations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30769] Combinations
  • From: "Dana" <ng_only at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 20:43:02 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello.  I have Mathematica 4.1

In a Program like Excel, or a hand-held calculator, one can return the
number of combinations and permutations.

However, I can not find an equivalent function in Mathematica.
For example, Permutations[ ] returns a long list of all the "Actual"
permutations.
I am looking for just the final number.
If there is one, could you include 'how' you found it.  I have looked
everywhere.
I know DiscreteMath`Combinatorica` has some stuff in it, but the Help system
appears not to explain many of them.

I can write a custom function, but I am curious to find out if this function
is built in to Mathematica.

I hope the answer is not to take the Length[ ]  of a rather long list.

TIA.  Dana

(I posted this question a month ago, but it never showed up in the
newsgroup, or in the archives.
I hope I am not doing something wrong.)