Simplify this complex expression?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30878] Simplify this complex expression?
  • From: awacs7 at home.com (Aram Schiffman)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:04:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have this expression:

Sqrt[-(lam/Im[(d1*lam - f*lam + I*Pi*w0^2)/(d1*d2*lam - d2*f*lam -
f^2*lam +
       I*d2*Pi*w0^2)])]/Sqrt[Pi]

and I wish to simplify it. (Or other expressions with essentially the
same structure).  All variables are real and positive, so I want the
real parts of Im[...] to go away.

It's easy enough by hand, but for various reasons I would like
Mathematica to do it for me.

I had a general idea to somehow map ComplexSimplify through all levels
of the expression, and then work my way (somehow) back to the top
level. Problem is, when I use "Level," the Heads go away; I can't
automate the reverse process. I can't think of any other approach to
try.

Is there a way to do this thing?

Thanks in advance,

Aram Schiffman