Re: EPS export problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30921] Re: EPS export problem
  • From: aes <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 02:16:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <9omhof$nlm$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Thomas Peters <thomas_peters at web.de> wrote:

> I have created a 3D-Plot. I want the PlotLabel to be a formula,
> so I followed the example in the online help and wrote
> PlotLabel -> StyleForm[TraditionalForm[Re[f[x+iy]]]].
>
> When I export this 3DPlot to an EPS-File, there appear
> bold H's instead of the ( and bold L's instead of ).
> Any idea?

It's a font problem, related to certain characters (notably "(" and ")")
being different in the "Math-1" font used by Mathematica and the fonts
on other systems.

Just in case you might try to get around this problem by shifting to a
different font, I'll repeat part of an earlier posting:

The Mathematica Book says on page 1222 in its description of TextStyle:

   "The style specified by TextStyle in a graphics object is
   used by default for ALL text, including labels and tick
   marks"

Nonetheless, if you try something like

   Plot[ x^2-5,  {x, -3, 3}, TextStyle->{ FontFamily->"Helvetica"} ]

you'll find that the *numbers* in the axis labels will appear in
Helvetica as expected -- but the *minus signs* on the negative axis
labels will still all be in Math-1 (even though there's a perfectly
good minus sign in Helvetica).

Or, should you try

   PlotLabel->StyleForm[ "x = 30 (new units)", FontFamily->"Helvetica" ]

the equals sign and the parens will be in Math-1, again even though
these are perfectly good characters in Helvetica.

Should you want to turn off this (ridiculous and frustrating?) behavior
you have to use an obscure option "PrivateFontOptions" which is not
mentioned in either The Mathematica Book or the online help for
TextStyle or StyleForm, though you can track down a terse reference to
it in the online help system.