Re: font problem solved

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36007] Re: [mg35988] font problem solved
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 03:34:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Jonathan Rockmann wrote:

> I have solved the problem with the fonts.  It required modifying the "Format
> Type Styles" at the end of the style sheet.
>
> So my only remaining question now is, are there any known problems associated
> with modifying these fonts to Arial, or sharing problems if I save a notebook
> in Arial then pass it on to someone who uses the default style sheet?

The answer to your question depends on two criteria:

1) Does the notebook you're sharing contain a private copy of your
modified style sheet, or is the notebook configured to use a shared
version of your modified style sheet?

If the notebook contains a private copy, then the front end on the
recipients machine will attempt to use the font settings as you specified.
If not, then the notebook will use the shared default style sheet on his
or her system, which means your font settings will not be used.

2) If the answer to (1) was "private copy", then the next question is
whether Arial is installed on the end user's system.  Bear in mind that
Arial started out as a Microsoft-specific TrueType font that was supposed
to provide a sans-serifed font akin to Helvetica.  There is a possibility
that Mac users might not have this font available on their system.  The
same is especially true for Unix users, whose X servers may not support
TrueType fonts or whose system administrators have not installed Arial and
configured the X server to use it.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com