Re: ReadList and NumberPoint ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36267] Re: ReadList and NumberPoint ?
  • From: Tom Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 01:37:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

Yes, Import is slow, I suppose because of it's generality. Your particular
case seems to be close to one that ReadList can handle efficiently.
Therefore I would recommend the following sequence of steps:

(1) Use ReadList to read into Words instead of Numbers.
(2) Use StringReplace to replace "," with "." within words.
(3) Convert the words to expressions with ToExpression.

This should be easy provided that you do not encounter scientific notation
("1,3e6").

Tom Burton