Re: rijndael

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38272] Re: rijndael
  • From: Tim Ebringer <drearyslig at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 04:17:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

If you're not desperate to pull apart the algorithm, then leveraging the
Java implementation might be the way to go, considering Mathematica
seems to get along with Java reasonably well. Rijndael is supposed to be
  integrated into Java 1.4.1, though I found it to be missing from
1.4.0. Check out the javax.crypto package.

If you look at the algorithm spec, it's all fast operations on bytes.
It's tricky to make some of the operations (like the key-schedule) work
in a functional manner, and the result is pretty unreadable compared to
the original spec IMHO. Some of the algebraic operations can be made to
look more elegent in Mathematica though.

Tim.