Re: Question on factor group calculations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38346] Re: Question on factor group calculations
  • From: "Diana" <diana53xiii at earthlink.remove13.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:37:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrzej,

Thank you. This is very helpful, and I appreciate your time.

I am not sure that I am getting the desired final multiplication table
output.

The output I get for the multiplication table:

MultiplicationTable[cosetReps, multZ4Z12] // TableForm

has zeros in it. (Perhaps I have not used the right equation to calculate
the multiplication table.) I am not sure that the code is understanding that
the result might not be an exact match of the original coset, but might have
bits and pieces of the original coset.

For example, manually multiplying (element for element) the coset
represented by (3,0) and (3,2) gives:

{(2,2), (2,6), (2,10), (2,2), (2,6), (2,10)}, when the actual coset
represented by the identity is:

I have listed the representative element, such as {0, 0}, first.

I greatly appreciate you help with this. The concept of being able to do
this with Mathematica is very exciting.

Diana M.