Re: Mathematica Documentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38353] Re: Mathematica Documentation
  • From: stevebg at adelphia.net (stevebg)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:37:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> > >Allan
> > >
> > I type "primitives" in the Master Index and get section 2.9.1, which does
> > not
> > have a list of all the primitives.  Yes, of course I found it sooner or
> > later.
> > But that's not a good index.
> >
> > All I can say is that, when someone asks me about Mathematica, I'll say it
> > is
> > hard to use for many reasons, and one of them is the poor documentation.
> >
> > Dave Golber

I agree that the documentation is extensive, but at the same time
it's inadequate. For example try to find out how to delimit a function
(subroutine) definition without using Module[{x}, . Or try to find how
to put several statements together in one branch of an If statement. Or
try to find a clear and complete explanation of exactly how to increase
the precision of all computations in a notebook. The first two I guessed
at and have answers for. The last one I still don't know.  I may  be
unusual in that I work alone, have no one to ask questions of verbally,
and will not pay over $1000 for a 2-day course.