Re: FITS Format

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38323] Re: [mg38273] FITS Format
  • From: Dale Horton <daleh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:35:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 03:17 AM 12/10/2002, Pigeon, Robert wrote:
>Good day,
>         I have a question about the utilization of FITS format.  I have
>Mathematica 4.2 for Students and I'm trying to display and analyze those
>images.  Since 4.2 is suppose to have added the FITS format to the list of
>recognized formats how come I cannot use the standard functions to view and
>manipulate them?
>         I use
>                 image=Import["m22.fits"];
>         Then
>                 Show[image]
>It does not display anything!
>I bought the add-on Digital Image Processing (1.1) and again I cannot use
>any of the functions in that package.
>
>In a nut shell: I thought that FITS format could be used the same way a JPEG
>format or any image (pic) format is used (displayed,manipulated,analyzed).
>
>Am I doing something wrong or maybe I did not understand something about
>this new feature in Mathematica 4.2?
>
>Robert Pigeon

While many people think of FITS as an image format, it is actually a data
format. So the output of Import is data.

In[1]:=
data=Import["cb.fits"];

The data is a list of matrices. The length of the data will tell you how
many matrices there are:

In[2]:=
Length[data]

Out[2]=
1

The data in each matrix usually represents an intensity. You can then use a
variety of functions to plot one of the matrices. ListDensityPlot is what
you see in many FITS viewers.

In[3]:=
ListDensityPlot[First[data], Mesh->False]

-DensityGraphics-

In[4]:=
ListContourPlot[First[data]]

Out[4]=